Contractors and Locators Honored for Commitment to Safe Digging
Miss Utility presents Maryland and Washington, D.C. excavators and utility locating technicians with 2008 Dig Smart Awards and Locator Achievement Awards
HANOVER, Md. – (May 1, 2009) – Miss Utility is proud to announce the winners of its annual Dig Smart Awards and Locator Achievement Awards. These awards honor the crucial people who have gone above and beyond to ensure the underground infrastructure of Maryland and Washington, D.C., remains damage free.
The Miss Utility Maryland/D.C. Damage Prevention Committee established the programs to recognize excavating companies that make strides to ensure workplace safety, and locators who have zero at-fault damages and exemplify outstanding safety practices.
Dig Smart Awards
The 2008 Dig Smart winners are Iacoboni Site Specialists, Inc. for Maryland and B. Frank Joy for Washington D.C. These two outstanding organizations were chosen from among hundreds of contractors across Maryland and the District of Columbia for these prestigious awards, which are determined after a review of the company’s damage prevention practices by other industry professionals.
Iacoboni Site Specialists, Inc., a two-time Dig Smart Award winner, specializes in all aspects of site work including demolition, sediment control, grading, paving and utilities. Iacoboni Site Specialists, Inc. has worked throughout the region since 1991.
B. Frank Joy specializes in construction maintenance and the rehabilitation of underground infrastructure. B. Frank Joy was the 1999 and 2007 Washington, D.C., Dig Smart Award winner and was founded in 1917.
Ligon and Ligon was the recipient of the Dig Smart Honorable Mention Award. Founded in 1920, Ligon and Ligon received this award as a result of its exceptional work in the region.
The two Dig Smart winning companies were invited to attend an awards banquet in Columbia with 10 of their employees, and received the Miss Utility “Silver Shovel” Award. The Honorable Mention recipient was invited to attend with five of its employees.
Locator Achievement Awards
Winners of the 2008 Locator Achievement Awards were nominated by their respective supervisors for being damage-free in 2008. The Miss Utility Maryland/D.C. Damage Prevention Committee is proud to recognize following locators as 2008 Locator Achievement Award winners:
- Region 1 – Harford and Cecil counties
- Tom Barton - Harford Co. W&S
- Dan Heiles - Harford Co. W&
- Kevin Kimmel - Harford Co. W&S
- Wayne Sargent - City of Aberdeen
- Region 2 – Washington, D.C.
- Darnell Maddox - UtiliQuest, Beltsville
- Alonzo Miller - UtiliQuest, Beltsville
- Region 3 – Montgomery County
- Terry Lee - UtiliQuest, Beltsville
- Jamie Seaton - UtiliQuest, Beltsville
- Sean Self - UtiliQuest, Beltsville
- Region 4 – Baltimore City and Baltimore County
- Eric Doering - UtiliQuest, Baltimore
- Buddy Poulson - OCC Locating Services
- Jermaine Street - OCC Locating Services
- Frank Weese - OCC Locating Services
- Region 5 – Calvert, Charles and St. Mary’s counties
- Mike Figgins - OCC Locating Services
- Chaz Osbourn - OCC Locating Services
- Chris Terrell - OCC Locating Services
- Robert Gilhuly - Charles Co. Utilities
- Neal Dieudonne - UtiliQuest, Beltsville
- Jim Havelka - UtiliQuest, Beltsville
- Justin Lowthert - UtiliQuest, Beltsville
- Terri Thompson - UtiliQuest, Baltimore
- Region 6 – Allegany, Carroll, Frederick, Garrett and Washington counties
- William Allen Billman - City of Hagerstown Light Dept.
- Region 7 – Anne Arundel and Howard counties
- Justin Golliday - OCC Locating Services
- Justin Lilly - OCC Locating Services
- Ian Owens - OCC Locating Services
- Ray King - Howard Co. Utilities
- Mike Pittman - Howard Co. Utilities
- Shaun Vanderveer - Howard Co. Utilities
- Damien LePore - UtiliQuest, Baltimore
- Donald Schurman - UtiliQuest, Baltimore
- Herman Wilson - UtiliQuest, Baltimore
- Region 8 – Prince George’s County
- George Daffan - UtiliQuest, Beltsville
- Heather Fowkes - UtiliQuest, Beltsville
- Jeff Kurtz - UtiliQuest, Beltsville
- Scott Lindenberger - UtiliQuest, Baltimore
- Christian MacKnovitz - UtiliQuest, Baltimore
All of the 2008 winners received framed certificates, jackets and computer bags courtesy of the Miss Utility Maryland/D.C. Damage Prevention Committee.
All of the awards were presented at a dinner banquet at Kahler Hall in Columbia on April 16, 2009, with Everett Lallis, Director, Department of Safety and Security, District of Columbia Water and Sewer Authority, providing the keynote address. Mr. Lallis delivered an impassioned speech about the importance of properly identifying underground facilities and how it can effect the safety of the citizens of Maryland and Washington D.C on a grander scale.
Also at this year’s awards, Miss Utility was presented Governor Martin O’Malley’s proclamation of April 13-19, 2009 as Underground Excavation Safety Week. In an effort to promote safe digging practices, the proclamation reminds citizens to contact Miss Utility before starting an outdoor project to prevent damages to underground facilities and property.
“Throughout 2008, all of our winners from both the Dig Smart Awards and Locator Achievement Awards have demonstrated exceptional safe digging practices and have taken a leadership role within the damage prevention community,” said Wayne Gilmer, Maryland/D.C. Damage Prevention Committee Chairman. “We congratulate these companies and individual locators who devote their career to ensure a safe working environment for their colleagues, as well as Maryland and Washington D.C. residents.”
Solicitation for 2009 Dig Smart Award and Locator Achievement Award entries will begin this fall.
To view photos of the 2008 LAA and Dig Smart Awards event, Click here