Minutes of Maryland/DC Damage Prevention Meeting
June 28, 2011
Miss Utility Call Center
Hanover, MD 21076
I. Call To Order and Introduction
Wayne Gilmer (Utiliquest) called the regular monthly meeting to order at 9:30 am.
Introductions were made.
The Minutes of May 24th, 2011 were approved as written.
II. Safety Item
Wayne Gilmer’s monthly safety topic covered bee safety; Do’s and Don’ts, before starting work always check area. Gave tips on what to do if stung by a bee.
III. MGH Update
Nick Kelly (MGH) gave a brief update on the following:
- Home and Garden Shows are completed
- Matt and Tony are attending the MML (Maryland Municipal League) event in Ocean City
- Production on the new Miss Utility video should be completed by August
- New Excavator Guides are ready, make sure we take and distribute as needed
- Excavator Video is being completed
- Baseball promo’s –2nd weekend in August – Diamond Dig Event
- 811 promo ongoing
- Bryce Harper promo ongoing
- Radio adds just wrapped up, will restart in a few weeks
IV. Dig Smart/Locator Achievement Awards (LAA) Committee
Kevin Woolbright & Dora Parks (Miss Utility) gave the following Dig Smart/LAA update:
- LAA event was held and completed at the Bowie Baysox stadium on Friday May 20th
- Dig Smart entry forms were mailed out
- Dig Smart Awards event will be help in Ocean City at the GCDP
V. Damage Prevention Presentations/Safety Event
Wayne Gilmer gave a brief update on the following presentations:
- Bethesda Naval Hospital Safety Event: Bethesda Md, (67 attendees) Attended by Wayne Gilmer, Dave Alexander and Mark Hamrick assisted with the D.P. presentation; attendees were contractors doing rehab work at the hospital.
- June 6th Maryland Department of the Environment Board of Waterworks, and Waste Systems Operators Sixty First Annual Short Coarse at Mount St. Mary’s University Safety Event Attended by Wayne: completed a 4 hour presentation on Damage Prevention, attendees received credit hours for completing the training class.
- 2011 (NICCjv) North Island & Centennial Safety fair College of Southern Maryland LaPlata Campus 8730 Mitchell Rd, BI Building, LaPlata, Md 20646 – SMECO held event, Wayne attended; SMECO had a trailer onsite for demo’s, display tables; fall protection bucket truck safety, various other demo’s. They will be holding another safety day event on Oct. 19th, date not final yet.
VII. Trade Shows: Below you will find the remaining trade shows for 2011:
VII. 2011 Greater Chesapeake Damage Prevention Training Conference
Nick Kelly provided updates: Matt Ruddo was in Ocean City at a Conference
- Conference will be held November 2-4, 2011 at the Clarion Resort
Fontainebleau Hotel in Ocean City, MD
- Registration is open
- Post cards were printed and ready to take with you
- Exhibit hall change, vendors will handle door prinzed and each
booth (those who want to participate)
- 811 motorcycle being promoted, will be built by Paul Jr. Designs
from the TV show American Chopper, unveiling will be at the conference
- Promo will be held in July for the bike
- Wednesday will be a Fun Night event
- Underground Damage Prevention Authority will present on Friday in a
town hall style event
- Will be have a better registration process and updates, all
attendees will show on the website
- Website is update will all current information
- No GCDPTC Planning Committee after the D.P. Committee meeting
VIII. Maryland Underground Damage Prevention Authority
Kevin Woolbright - Vice Chairman provided updates: list of the
- Tom Baldwin (BGE)- Maryland member of the MD/DC Subscribers Committee
- Jim Barron (Ronkin Construction)- Associated Utility Contractors of Maryland
- Bernard Cochran (Chesapeake Beach)- Maryland Municipal League
- Bob Cooper (Harford County)- Maryland Association of Counties
- Cindy Flanders- Public Member
- Walt Gainer (W. F. Wilson & Sons)- Public Works Contractors Association of Maryland
- Wayne Gilmer (Utiliquest)- Locating Industry
- Tom Hoff (One Call Concepts)- One Call Center
- Kevin Woolbright (WSSC)-Kevin Woolbright (WSSC)- Maryland member of the MD/DC Subscribers Committee
- Official letter head was presented and will be adopted
- Official seal was presented and will be adopted
- Bank account has been set up and opened
- Bylaws being created for review and adoption
- Code of Conduct rules being created for review and adoption
- Complaint form being created
- Filing fees being reviewed but not yet finalized, should be presented at the next meeting
June 29th Kevin Woolbright and Wayne Gilmer attended the 2011 Eastern Region NAPSR Meeting held at Rocky Gap Resort; they presented a PowerPoint presentation on the current status of the Maryland Law Re-Write Title 12 Underground Facilities. They had 45 minutes to present and Q & A at the end. The board members had several questions, suggestions and idea which we will present at the next board meeting.
Next meeting will be July 6th
IX.MD/DC Subscribers Committee Meeting: meeting was held on June 14th
Scott Brown – Chairman gave update:
Still looking to have a meeting in Western Md
Possible site location Deep Creek Lake, Mark Hamrick will take the lead to coordinate
Scott Brown supported moving the meeting to other sites with the focus of bringing more participation from other areas
Public Awareness Campaign (items discussed)
- GCDPTC Event in Ocean City Nov 2-4, 2011
- Marketing Campaign
- Call Center Reports
- ITIC Reports
- Gave overview of various agenda items discussed at last meeting
X.One Maryland: Inter County Broadband Network (OMBN)
Andre Robinson (OMBN) stated they had a kick of event on June 13th it went very well; RFP Awards are still pending, should be ready in the fall; Thanks Utiliquest for helping with some ticket issues and questions; Had conversation about test pitting; would like contractors to take refresher training coarse before work begins; just need to set up schedule dates; Construction RFP –final offers being reviewed and should be ready by July; Must have had recent Damage Prevention Safety Training class completed; Contractors being encouraged to use new modern techniques to excavate, using X-ray type equipment to locate facilities; Contractor will set up a demo date to show new technology; Gave overview of the various cables being installed, discussion about once the cable is installed and how it’s documented in the data base system, how it’s marked, notifications made; Current contractor is Skyline responsible for locates and all data base records; Meetings were held 2 months ago with Call Center staff about the ticket process.
Andre Robinson said that more information on the OMBN could be found at www.onemaryland-icbn.org.
Mark Hamrick (Verizon) provided the following FTTP trench footage projections:
Wayne opened the floor for discussion for any issues or concerns that needed our attention:
Nick Barone (Gray & Son) brought to our attention an issue related to Utiliquest phone system, when they call, they get a recording; no response back, contact number goes to voice mail and not being answered. Mike Burns - Utiliquest advised he wasn't aware and would look into matter for resolution and make contact with Gray & Son.
Scott Brown - advised the Virginia Corporation Council has changed process on how they fund projects; WGL had a booth at the Fireman's Convention held in Ocean City Md, it was a great event and well attended; Excavator hit a service main, didn't have a ticket, hit 2nd line after being told to call in a ticket; Takoma Park Md project to install new mains and services being done now, they will coordinate with others as work progresses.
Please visit http://www.missutility.net/damageprevention for the monthly MD/DC Damage Prevention meeting dates which are held the 4th Tuesday of every month excluding December. Coffee and donuts will be served at 9:00 am; meetings begin at 9:30 am.
The next Maryland/DC Subscribers meeting will be October 11, 2011 at a location to be determined in McHenry, MD at 9:00am. Coffee and donuts will be served at 8:30am.
There There being no further business brought before the committee, the meeting was adjourned at 10:57 am
|ITIC % Report for Maryland and Washington D.C.
||Call Center Tickets