Steering Committee to Rewrite the District One-Call Law
Chairman, Scott Brown: Vice Chairman, Meena Gowda, Esq.
Host Venue – Miss Utility Call Center in Hanover, MD
Minutes of the Meeting – July 23, 2014
Prepared by Dora Parks
PURPOSE OF REWRITE
To modify the current District of Columbia One-Call Law to meet the requirements of PHMSA’s Nine Key Elements of an effective damage prevention program and to reflect best and current practices. Enforcement of the DC law will have its foundation in outreach and education.
The meeting was called to order at 8:54am by Chairman Brown, followed by introductions of committee members.
The committee approved the July 18, 2014 minutes.
Chairman Brown reviewed committee progress regarding the Title 34 rewrite,
- Revised current definitions and inserted new definitions
- Modified section 34-2702 –Operation of a One Call Center
- Modified section 34-2704 – Notification prior to an Excavation
- Modified section 34-2709 – Emergency Notification
- Modified section 34-2705 – Excavator Requirements
- New 6 – Owner or Operator responsibilities, Positive Response, Emergency and Designer Response
Committee Discussion Topics,
- Positive Response, coding a ‘no access ticket’
- Damage Prevention includes designer work
Title 34 – working copy (see attachment – yellow and green highlights denotes future committee examination)
New 7: Section 34-2706 – Damages Caused by Excavation or Demolition
Reviewed protocol for effective damage investigations; documentation using pictures of marked lines with landmarks, utility measurements, securing contact information. Chairman Brown provided an overview of a recent Montgomery County pilot for enhanced positive response. Utility participants included, WGL, WSSC, Verizon and PEPCO. Each ticket’s locate included a manifest of the marked site available with the Ticket Check Positive Response as an attachment via the call center’s Search & Status application. Chairman Brown reported a significant improvement comparing reported damages for the same 2013 time period.
Next Committee Meetings (Miss Utility Call Center),
Tuesday, August 19th starting at 8:30am
Chairman Brown asked the committee to prepare for the next meeting by thinking about Title 34 enforcement.
The meeting adjourned at 11:11am.
Meeting Attendees for July 23, 2014