Steering Committee to Rewrite the District One-Call Law
Chairman, Scott Brown: Vice Chairman, Meena Gowda, Esq.
Host Venue – Miss Utility Call Center in Hanover, MD
Minutes of the Meeting – July 18, 2014
Prepared by Dora Parks
PURPOSE OF REWRITE
To modify the current District of Columbia One-Call Law to meet the requirements of PHMSA’s Nine Key Elements of an effective damage prevention program and to reflect best and current practices. Enforcement of the DC law will have its foundation in outreach and education.
The meeting was called to order at 8:50am by Chairman Brown, followed by introductions of committee members.
The committee approved the July 9, 2014 minutes.
Chairman Brown provided an overview of the committee’s purpose for the benefit of our new member.
- To align Title 34 with the PIPES Act of 2006 regarding an effective damage prevention program
- To revise older terms of communications (i.e., teletype)
- To insert certain accepted and best practices for damage prevention
- To improve the flow of information
- To provide a level of enforcement for Title 34
Committee Discussion Topics;
- Contractors using APWA utility paint colors to provide counterfeit marking and private locating.
- Current length of a ticket is 1,320 feet within one quadrant; the committee discussed limiting addresses on the ticket and changing the current ticket length.
- Paving tickets – should the current exemption be removed from the rewrite.
- Review of current Ticket Check and the code rules.
Title 34 – working copy (see attachment)
New 1: Definitions and General Provisions
§34-2701 – Definitions #10 modified
New 6: Owner or Operator Responsibilities – worked on the ‘yellow’ list of reasons a locate cannot be completed on time and added in DC Ticket Check as the method of positive response.
Upcoming Committee Meetings (Miss Utility Call Center),
Wednesday, July 23rd
Tuesday, August 5th
The meeting was adjourned at 11:17 AM.
Meeting Attendees for July 18, 2014