Steering Committee to Rewrite the District One-Call Law
Chairman, Scott Brown: Vice Chairman, Meena Gowda, Esq.
Host Venue – Miss Utility Call Center in Hanover, MD
Minutes of the Meeting – April 28, 2014
Prepared by Dora Parks, Secretary
PURPOSE OF REWRITE
To modify the current District of Columbia One-Call Law to meet the requirements of PHMSA’s Nine Key Elements of an effective damage prevention program and to reflect best and current practices. Enforcement of the DC law will have its foundation in outreach and education.
The meeting was called to order at 8:47am by Chairman Brown, followed by introductions of committee members and guests.
The committee approved the April 21, 2014 minutes.
Chairman Brown reported that he contacted Ann Marie Robinson of PHMSA regarding the District one-call law rewrite committee. Ms. Robinson stated PHMSA is aware of the committee and its purpose. PHSMA was invited to the committee meetings.
Dora Parks reiterated that all committee meetings, minutes, law working copies and meeting attendance is posted on the website at, http://www.missutility.net/SteeringCommitteeRewriteDcLaw/index.asp
Chairman Brown announced that PHMSA will have a ‘Game Day’ at the Nationals Stadium on Thursday, August 7, 2014 in support of the National 811 Day. Tickets are $15.00; anyone desiring to attend the game can contact Karen Lynch at 202-366-6855 for tickets. The committee agreed that we should wear ‘811’ t-shirts if attending the game.
There was discussion regarding April’s Underground Safe Digging Month,
- Media outreach with various radio stations promoting, call before you dig
- New Homeowner internet campaign
- Miss Utility, Facebook sweepstakes to win at Bar-B-Q and 811 Bike appearance
- Multiple Trade Show events and damage prevention trainings scheduled
Continuing in May,
- Mayor Gray proclaimed May 25-31st as Public Space Week. DDOT will participate by holding a Community Day on Saturday, May 31st.
- The week of May 5th is being recognized as ‘Safety Week’. Many companies are joining the week long safety campaign to promote work site safety. The MD/DC Damage Prevention training team has been invited to several companies hosting various trainings and company events during the week.
Jeffrey Powell (DDOT) suggested the Damage Prevention Team reach out to the DC Neighborhood Advisory Councils to educate the homeowners on, call before you dig and the importance of that call. Chairman Brown reported that 30% of WGL damages are a result of not calling.
The committee engaged in a lengthy discussion regarding storm drains and if they should be located in the DC one-call law. Committee members will get clarification from their organizations for continued discussions.
Title 34 Sections modified during this meeting;
NEW 3: EXCAVATION AND DEMOLITION
Section 34-2704 — Notification prior to excavation
Future meeting schedule and venue;
Miss Utility Call Center, 7223 Parkway Drive, Suite 100 Hanover, MD 21076
- Wednesday, May 14th
- Wednesday, May 21st
- Wednesday, May 28th
The Meeting adjourned at 11:05am.