Steering Committee to Rewrite the District One-Call Law
Chairman, Scott Brown Vice Chairman, Meena Gowda, Esq.
Miss Utility Call Center, Hanover, MD
Minutes of the Meeting – January 27, 2014
Prepared by Dora Parks, Secretary
Meeting called to order at 8:45am by Scott Brown
Welcome and introductions
Attending committee members received;
- Common Ground Alliance Best Practices Guide, V10
- PIPES Act, Nine Key Elements for a successful Damage Prevention Program
- Maryland Underground Damage Prevention Authority – Origin and Background
- Title 34, Chapter 27 District One Call Law
The committee reviewed the Nine Key Elements as provided by PHSMA and established an action item list for further discussion;
- Positive Response – Key Element #1
- Designer Tickets –Key Element #2
- Education and Outreach Program –Key Element #5
- Enforcement – Key Element # 6 and 7
- Provide Annual Reporting – Key Element #9
The committee discussed concerns regarding the current One-Call Law and other work site guidelines for future review;
- Exemption – Routine Maintenance, including patch-type of paving
- 48 hour notification
- Emergency Excavation
- Membership to the One-Call System
- Marking Standards
- White Lining
- Ability to establish rules supported by Common Ground Alliance metrics
PURPOSE OF REWRITE
To ensure the current law meets the requirements of the PIPES Act - Nine Key Elements of an effective damage prevention program and to modify current law to reflect current practices. Enforcement of DC law will have a base/foundation in outreach and education.
A suggestion was made to provide a letter to the Attorney General’s office regarding the new committee, purpose and participation.
There being no further business brought before the committee, the meeting adjourned at 11:15am.
Monday, February 3rd at the Miss Utility Call Center, 7223 Parkway Drive, Suite 100 in Hanover
Monday, February 10th at PEPCO, 3400 Benning Rd, NE in Washington, DC, Building 59
Refreshments will be served at 8:00am; the meeting time will be 8:30am to 11:00am.